My photo
We all have a story to tell. Some speak louder than others. Listen closely to hear the stories of our ancestors echoing under our footsteps. They are the authors. We are the keepers.

Search This Blog

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Herstoryan's Hearth: Christmas Gifts: The Making of a Housewife (1906)



For today's excerpt I return to my most favorite household manuel: Curtis, Isabel Gordon. The Making of a Housewife. New York: Stokes, 1906. pp 156-157. If you ever get a chance to read this book I highly suggest it. The previous excerpt I posted can be found here. Enjoy!


THE CHRISTMAS GIFTS OF A COOK
"All Christmas presents? " asked Mrs. Griswold one evening when she entered the Kerrs' cosey sitting-room.
Margaret was pinning names upon jaunty sofa-pillows, delicate bits of embroidery, and other odds and ends.
"Yes, I 've nearly finished Christmas things. My list is full except for a few people who have been kind to us. I cannot spend much money, yet I want to remember Robert's stenographer and Copperfield, the book-keeper."
"Where do they live?"
"They board at the Ayres'."
"That isn't a genial place for Christmas. Take them a nice little plum pudding for dinner, piping hot, with a pitcher of brandy sauce. I have a fine old English recipe."
"That's a great idea," cried Margaret; " it suggests another. Why not make things to eat for people who would appreciate them, — people who board or do their own work, or live on bakery stuff?"
"I 'll join with you," said Mrs. Griswold, heartily. " I, too, have unremembered people on my list."
"What shall we make?"
"Let us jot down a list of eatables which can be transported picturesquely. Plum puddings with a sprig of holly tied to them, creamfilled ladylocks, candy, a box of pates, ready to be filled with creamed chicken or oysters, a cake, a pie, or a tumbler of mayonnaise."






























.

2 comments:

  1. I love this book Herstoran! I would love to be able to sit down and read it. I look forward to future excerpts. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds wondefully interesting. Do you know where it's available, maybe on google books? This is my first visit to your blog. I'll be back to visit again. Thanks!
    Nancy (www.nancysfamilyhistoryblog.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete